While there is nothing wrong with physical boards it’s very convenient to have an electronic version. I spent days trying to find some suitable software and finally … developed it (seriously, it just took less time!). And if you’re looking for some simple application that could replace physical board then search is over. Now your board can look like that:
Much better! What are pros & cons of electronic board:
- It’s dead simple.
- It always can be with you in your laptop: just copy files to some folder.
- It works in offline mode, no internet connections ever required.
- It looks nice.
- It’s even cheaper than whiteboard and sticky papers because it’s completely free.
- It’s both personal and shared board in the single package.
- Maybe not for large distributed groups, but it’s OK for small-to-medium ones. Look also for online alternatives.
- No more cons found.
How to start:
- Download application (link is below). It has no installer, just unzip it to some folder, e.g. “…My Documents\My Kanban”.
- Start it. It requires NET 4.0 installed, if you don’t have it yet you can download it here. The application creates data file automatically.
- Click everywhere, try to drag & drop cards. See About/Shortcuts first, then click Setup to configure your own board the way you want. Edit columns, topics, persons etc. Please, read notes on every setup page.
- Use the built-in timer (aka ‘pomodoro timer’) to track your time. Easter egg: point mouse to the timer to see statistics.
- One more thing: drag & drop any file to app window to create a new task with attached file.
- Need more than one board? Copy app to different folders to use 2 or more boards, e.g. “Office”, “Home” etc.
- Application is fully portable: keep it on flash drive or shared/cloud storage (OneDrive, Dropbox etc).
- You can also create a common board and share information with your colleagues in office or worldwide. This option requires free Redis database server (3.0 is recommended).
Please, feel free to share your ideas for improving the application. It’s going to be updated regularly, so subscribe to this page comments. The current version is 4.2.6212.25463.
Thank you for reading/scrolling down. Now you can download it.
Portable Kanban supports plugins to extend its functionality. If you’re interested in developing your own plugin use this project as a starting point.
See also a very basic introduction to Portable Kanban:
More about personal kanban:
- Jim Benson’s site and book.
- “Personal Kanban in a Nutshell” by Jurgen De Smet and Erik Talboom
- “Priming Kanban” by Jesper Boeg
- “Essential Kanban Condensed” by David J Anderson and Andy Carmichael